wanted

I am looking for old accounting books. if you have some, used or not, I am interested in it!

03/06/2010

my secret sketching gear

update: check out this new interview on the tools artists use on october 2012!

In this post, I tell you all the secrets of my favourite material I carry all the time in my pocket.
lapin-tools01
First of all, my pencils, brushes and watercolour are all together in a vintage “Texas Instrument” case, and I will not exchange it for any other one. It’s the perfect size, and with a snap hook, I put it on my coat, or at my belt. So I have all my stuff ready to use and easy to access to.
The 2 hair clips (that I stole from Lapinette) are very useful to maintain the notebook open when it’s windy.

lapin-tools02
The inkpen is my principal tool. I start all the time my sketches with the lines, and the “Uni Pin fine line 0,1mm” fits my taste. It’s waterproof and the black ink is very dark, I love it.
I also carry 2 colours inkpen “Edding 1800 0,1mm” to copy logotypes or typography.

lapin-tools03
My watercolour box is a very compact one. It’s a special travel box, made by “Daler-Rowney, England” with 18 fine arts quarter pans. I fill the brush space with some additive colours, as some transparent red, a very cool green, and gold watercolour.
If I had to choose 3 colours, my favourite are the yellow ocre, the alizarin crimson and the russian blue. I sketch figures only with those 3.
I've only used a “Pentel” water brush for a short time, but I’m already addicted to it. I always carry 2 of them full of water, to get enough autonomy for the day, and a third one fill of yellow ochre liquid watercolour to have a bright and luminous yellow (most of the watercolour yellow pans are opaque).

lapin-tools04
Now it’s time to reveal that I also use a few secret weapons, as this 2 multicolour pens. The big one is a child gadget to raise my watercolour sometimes. The second is more “serious”, it comes from “Muji” in Tokyo, and it’s precise enough to sketch directly with it.
And while I can’t sketch with my usual technique (by night, or when the model has too much contrast), I paint with this black brush (also from Muji).
I must confess that I have brought back a full bag of pens and art supplies from Japan, and that my favourite material may change in the next months… I already adopted a family of “lapin’s stamps”!

lapin-tools05
Related to my sketchbooks, I have all the time in the pocket a small Moleskine (9x14cm, 192 pages) to sketch in the subway, at a terrace, anywhere… and for some more elaborates sketches, I use some old notebooks I find at a flea market. I especially like the lined paper and the amazing quality of it. I start yesterday my sketcbook number 119… my library is full of them ;)

What sketching tools do you carry?

blogged on urban sketching symposium
symposiumheader

18 commentaires:

hfm a dit…

Merci pour toute l'information.

marctaro a dit…

hahaha! I can't believe you use one of those fat multi-color pens!!! that's hilarious - brings me back to grade school :):):)

fbd a dit…

de quoi rêver, illustrations et belle photo de sketch books… il existe des pots pliables, si (nylon à l'extérieur et intérieur plastique étanche) mais je ne sais pas si on trouve çà en Europe…

lapin a dit…

hfm: de rien.

marc: eheh! and I love it, such a cool one.

skizo: ?

fbd: j'ai jamais vu ça, ça me rend curieux.

FirstLadyPatate a dit…

Je découvre tous tes beaux sketchs ! Merci de partager ton matériel. :)

Swasky a dit…

Partager est le sens primaire d'internet, mais tu fais quelque chose de plus, montrer et parler à fond de ce que on aime. Merci beaucoup Lapin!

Nadine a dit…

Ohé Lapi, merci pour toute ces infos ! Tu sais ce qui serait trop cool ? Une photo de ta bibliothèque (ou de ton tas) de carnets de croquis. Ca doit être impressionnant !

Pebble a dit…

J'aime beaucoup ce que tu fais. Je trouve ça tellement vivant. Tellement plein de charme.

marianne a dit…

mais c'est trop génial ce bazooka! on peut l'acheter où??? merci pour tout ton partage!

Cloder100 a dit…

Bonjour , je vois que tues à cours de papier, je vais voir ce que je peux faire, mais est-ce que tu recherche un format en particulier ?
à bientôt
Cloder100

Marine a dit…

Héhé, je vois que le pinceau magique de Pentel fait des émules !! j'en suis fan également, il ne me quitte plus :-)

Charlotte a dit…

du mal à me séparer de mes vieux pinceaux, moi...
mais merci de partager, j'adooooore...

Unknown a dit…

i love your use of watercolors. Beautiful.

Recently with drawings of my own, I have been using liquid watercolors. My favorite color of the moment is named Winsor Yellow.

Mice Aliling a dit…

I am a fan of your work...and these tools are good tips for me :) we have muji here in the philippines :)

Martulina Divina a dit…

Hi! I'm starting in this world of sketching and I'm looking for these UNI PIN FINE LINE pens. I also live in Barcelona, so please, could you recommend me where to buy them? Thanks and congratulations, your work is great!!!I'll keep on following you!

lapin a dit…

martulina: you could find the uni pin in "raima" close to urquinaona metro station. it's the cheapest place I know for it. keep sketching ;)

Anonyme a dit…

Hi Lapin,
Thanks for sharing your "secrets" especially the mobile water. I also brought back materials and mobility from Japan, Saw you first on Sketchcrawl.
Mark Fletcher
Tallahassee Florida USA

Anonyme a dit…

Salut Lapin,
merci pour ces infos et le retour d'expérience, tout à fait dans l'esprit d'Internet, qui au passage devient de plus en plus marchand de multiples façons.... Mais tant qu'on est heureux avec entre les doigts un crayon, un uni-pin ou un pinceau, qu'on exprime son regard sur le monde et qu'on le partage, tout va bien, merci encore !
Michel